Welcome to the Dashboard, !

Close dashboard icon

Brief History of William V.S. Tubman High School

Mr. Tamba Reeves, Principal

Contact #:+231777561154
Location: 12th Street, Sinkor

William VS Tubman High School was built & equipped through a joint partnership of the Government of Liberia and the San Francisco State College of the United States of America in 1967. The school was first called Monrovia Jr. High School but later renamed in honor of the 18th President of Liberia, Dr. William VS Tubman during the first graduation ceremony of the school in 1968. He was one of the best presidents of Liberia who served from his election in 1944 till his death in 1971.


Brief History of G.W. Gibson

Mr. Moses Karngar, Principal

Contact #:+231886552647 / +231777561154
Location: Bypass, Monrovia

William VS Tubman High School was built & equipped through a joint partnership of the Government of Liberia and the San Francisco State College of the United States of America in 1967. The school was first called Monrovia Jr. High School but later renamed in honor of the 18th President of Liberia, Dr. William VS Tubman during the first graduation ceremony of the school in 1968. He was one of the best presidents of Liberia who served from his election in 1944 till his death in 1971.


Brief History of D. Twe Memorial High School

Mr. Peter Breeze, Principal

Contact #: +231777561154
Location: New Kru Town

The D. Twe Memorial High School (formerly William R. Tolbert Jr. & Sr. High School) was founded April 14, 1975. The school was established as a result of a petition made by residents of the Borough of New Kru Town to the then President of the Republic of Liberia, William R. Tolbert, Jr. to build a school in the Borough of New Kru Town for the school-going children and residents. Accordingly, this would help reduce the high illiteracy rate in the Country and also curtail the high cost of transportation and difficulties students were faced with to leave from New Kru Town and its environs to attend the William V.S. Tubman High School in Sinkor, Monrovia. The petition was granted and approved by the then President of the Republic of Liberia, William R. Tolbert, Jr. which led to the construction and establishment of the school. The first Principal was Mr. Nyae, the late.

After the 1980 coup that brought the Military regime of Master Sargent Samuel K. Doe to power, the regime became uncomfortable with names associated with Americo-Liberians on public facility(ies) at that time in Liberia. As a result, the regime proposed the name of the first Governor of the Municipal Borough of New Kru Town, the late Hon. John Naklen to be named in honor of the school. Said proposal was rejected by majority members of the Elders and residents of the Borough. The name of the first Representative of the Borough, Honorable Dihdwo Twe was proposed by majority of the residents at that time and was accepted. Thus leaving the People’s Redemption Council with no alternative but to finally endorsed the name: D. Twe Memorial High School, the only public high school in New Kru Town and the Bushrod Island. Since then, the school has been providing quality education, leadership, and moral values to its students.


Brief History of Pipe Line Jr. & Senior High School

xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Principal

Contact #: Details coming soon
Location: Pipe Line Community


Brief History of Mary N. Brownell Junior High School

Mr. Z. Abraham Gardour, Principal

Contact #:Contact #: +23188615447 / +231777023399
Location: 12th Street, Sinkor

Mary N. Brownell Elem. & Jr. High School was founded in 2015. The school was named in honor of the late veteran educator, Mary N. Brownell. She was the first Principal of Boatswain Elem. & Jr. High School from 1968-1979.


Brief History of Emmanuel W. Johnson Junior High School

Mr. McDonald Wlemus, Principal

Contact #: +231777076471
Location: New Kru Town

The Emmanuel W. Johnson Jr. High School started in its current building which by then, in the late 50s, was used as Public Accommodation Center (PAC) which hosted several social functions such as local government meetings, funeral services, musical jamborees and other related assemblies. In 1964, following a partnership agreement with the local government, the Municipal Cooperation of the Borough of Kru Town and the Government of Liberia, the school was established as an Elementary School, (New Kru Town Elem. School). Later in 1974, it was elevated to a Junior High School which became widely known as the New Kru Town Jr. High School. The school was mainly elevated to Junior High to serve as feeder school to the D. Memorial Senior High School (formerly, William R. Tolbert High School). In 1988, the name of the school was changed to Emmanuel W. Johnson Jr. High School in honor of the late Emmanuel W. Johnson, former Episcopal prelate and first superintendent of (MCSS).


Brief History of Gaye Town Elem. School

Madam Josephine Barclay, Principal

Contact #: +231776346272
Gaye Town, Old Road, Sinkor

Gaye Town Elem. School was founded March 15, 1975 as an Elem. & Jr. High School. The school was named in honor of Mr. & Mrs. Goodridge. When the founders of the school could no longer manage it due to some financial constraints, they went to Mr. & Mrs. Goodridge to ask for assistance. Mr. & Mrs. Goodridge told the founders that if they should assist, the school will have to use their name. Looking at the terms and conditions and financial constraints they were confronted with, the founders agreed and that’s how the school became commonly known as the Goodridge School, then. Later, when Mr. & Mrs. Goodride could no longer continue to assist the school, the community through its leadership asked the Government to take over the school to prevent it from shutting down. Government in its wisdom took over the school and turned it over to the MCSS for proper management.


Brief History of Matilda Newport Jr. High School

Mr. J. Luke Garlo, Principal

Contact #: +231886535798 / +231777013701
Location: Newport Street, Morovia

Matilda Newport Jr. High School was established in 1967 & named in honor of the late Matilda Newport. Matilda was born in the United States of America in 1975. She married Thomas Spencer. At age 25, she sailed to Liberia with her husband on the ship Elizabeth. They arrived on September 30, 1820 and settled in Cape Mesurado. Matilda Newport is principally known for her action on December 1, 1822 to have defended the colonial settlement Cape Mesurado during the Battle of Fort Hill with a cannon she lit from her pipe.
Newport’s husband died, probably from one of the conflicts. Sometime after 1822, she married again to Ralph Newport. Matilda Newport died of pleurisy in Monrovia in 1837. A National Holiday in her honor, Matilda Newport Day, was celebrated annually every December 1, from 1916 until its abolition in 1980. The school was constructed with funds provided by the Government of the United States of America in 1967 during the administration of former President William VS Tubman.


Brief History of Boatswain Junior High School

Madam. G. Ellen Vallai, Principal

Contact #: +231770012648 / +231886735700
Location: Jamaica Road, Bushrod Island

Boatswain Jr. High School was established on June 6, 1968 during the administration of the late William V.S. Tubman, former President of Liberia. The school was named in honor of the late King Sao Boatswain.


Brief History of N. V. Massaquoi Elem. & Jr. High School

M. Gleh Mason, II, Principal

Contact #: 231770426039 / +231888284197
Location: The Township of Westpoint, Monrovia.

The N.V. Massaquoi Elem. & Jr. High School, located in the Township of Westpoint, Monrovia, was founded March 25, 1974. The school was named in honor of N.V. Massaquoui, then Deputy Secretary of Education of the Republic of Liberia. After many years of existence and management by the Ministry of Education, the school was turned over to the Monrovia Consolidated School System (MCSS) in August, 2004 during the administration of Madam Hester William Catakaw, former Superintendent of (MCSS). The N.V. Massaquoi Elem. & Jr. High School is the only public school in the Township of Westpoint. The school currently runs two sections, both morning and afternoon.


Brief History of Marvii Sonii Elem. & Jr. High School

xxxxxxxxxxxx Principal

Contact #: xxxxxxxxxx
Location: xxxxxxxxx

The Marvii Sonii Elem. & Jr. High School was originally named Moivee Sonie. It was established +in 1962, two years after the founding of the Amanda Capehart Elem. School located in Vai Town, Monrovia in 1960 by a black Negro woman and philanthropist called Mrs. Amanda Capehart. She was the first Principal of the school. Movii Sonie was the night section of the Amanda Capehart Elem. School established to conduct Adult Literacy Program. The school was named in honor of Chief Movii Sonii, father of the late Vai Govenor, Hon. Sundifu M. Sonie. Due to some political maneuvering as a result of the Vai Town land dispute, the name was clandestinely changed from Movii Sonii to Marvii Sonii in the early 1970’s. Marvii Sonii moved into its current modern building which was built by the Liberian Government in partnership with World Bank in 1980.

Brief History of St. Paul Bridge Elem. & Jr. High School

xxxxxxxxxxxx Principal

Contact #: xxxxxxxxxx
Location: xxxxxxxxx

Details coming soon!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Brief History of Rebecca J.N. Wilson

Madam Mcvella Gofa,Principal

Contact #: +231770278802
Location: Old Road, Sinkor

The Rebecca J.N. Wilson Elem. School was founded September 7, 2007. It was formerly Charles Mcintosh. Prior to the 2005 General & Presidential elections, the then Charles Mcintosh Elem. & Jr. High School was housed in a building owned by the Tubman’s family who eventually evicted the school from their property. Due to said eviction, the school was prematurely shut down and its staff transferred to other schools in the System. It was at the ground breaking ceremony of the school that former Superintendent Hester William Catakaw renamed the school Rebecca J.N. Wilson Elem. School in honor of the late Rebecca J.N. Wilson, former Principal of the Monrovia Demonstration Elem. School.


Brief History of A.Glenn Tubman Elementary School

Mr. J. Nyankula Paye, Principal

Contact #: +231886573277
Location: 12th Street, Sinkor

Alexander Glenn Tubman Elem. School was named in honor of the late Alexander Glenn Tubman in 1997. He was former General of the Liberian Army. Before the 1990 civil war, the school was an Annex of Tubman High and was used mostly for 10th graders. After the civil war, it was still an Annex of Tubman High but was now used for Elem. & Jr. High till 2014. From 1997-2014, the school was Elem. & Jr. High. In 2015, it became the A. Glenn Tubman & Elem. School.


Brief History of Abedu Bentsi Elem. & Jr. High School

Mrs. Getrude F. Kollie, Principal


Contact #: +231770452492 Location: Logan Town

Abedu Bentsi Elem. School was founded in 1974. The School is named in honor of the late Abedu Bentsi who was commonly known as Oldpa. The school officially opened its doors to the public in 1974 as a private Elem. School. In 2001, a modern school was built by a Non-Governmental Organization called Aletha’s Legacy to accommodate the huge growing number of school going kids. The school was officially turned over to the Government of Liberia to be managed by (MCSS) in 2001.


Brief History of Matadi Community Elementary School

Madam June K.M.S. Cole, Principal

Contact #: +231777370808
Location: Matadi Community, Sinkor

Matadi Community Elem. School, formerly called Nancy Doe Elem. School was founded in 1980 during the regime of the late Samuel K. Doe, former President of the Republic of Liberia. The school accommodates a little over a thousand students and is the only public school in the Matadi area.


Brief History of Monrovia Elementary Demonstration School

Mrs. Maryann Gbongbay, Principal

Contact #: +231777060517
Location: Clay Street, Monrovia

The Monrovia Elem. Demonstration School was built from 1953-1954 under the direction of the Department of Public Works & Utilities, Division of Public Buildings & Housing. The school was opened to the public on September 5, 1954 by the Government of Liberia through the Department of Public Instruction.


Brief History of Lorma Quarter Elementary School

Madam Bonyonnoh MacCarthy, Principal

Contact #: +231770191108
Location: Lorma Quarter Community, Monrovia

The Lorma Quarter Elem. School was founded in 1977 during the administration of the late William R. Tolbert, former President of the Republic of Liberia. The school was formerly known as Total Involvement.


Brief History of C. D. B. King Elementary School

Madam Sangay Kamara, Principal

Contact #: +231770206355
Warrant Street, Monrovia

C.D.B. King Elem. School was established in 1958 & named in honor of former President Charles Dunbar Burges King. King was born March 12, 1875. He was a Liberian politician who served as the 17th president of Liberia from 1920-1930. He was of Americo-Liberian and krio decent. He was a member of the True Whig Party, which ruled Liberia from 1878 until 1980.


Brief History of Anna F. Whisnant Elementary School

Madam Jema Moore, Principal

Contact #: +2310776486893 / +231886486893
Location: Barclay Training Center Barrack

Barrack Union High School which later became Anna F. Whisnant Elem. School was founded 1958. In 1978, the school was turned over to the Government of Liberia to be managed by the Monrovia Consolidated School System. Anna F. Whisnant Elem. School was named in honor of the late Anna Famatta Whisnant. She was the founder of Barrack Union High School which later bacame Anna F. Whisnant Elem. School. Mrs. Whisnant was the wife of the late Colonel Whisnant of the Armed Forces of Liberia. Former President Samuel K. Doe and the late General Quiwon Kpa were students of Barrack Union High School.


Brief History of C. William Brumskine Elementary School

Mrs. Esi Taylor, Principal

Contact #: +231886978821
Location: Front Street, Monrovia

The C. William Brumskine Elem. School was founded in 1968 and was named in honor of the late Charles William Brumskine. The school runs both morning and afternoon sections.


Brief History of Slipway Elem. School

Mr. Friday Johnson, Principal

Contact #: +231775094958
Location: Slipway Community, Monrovia

It is not known exactly when the Slipway Elem. School was founded and put under the management of the Monrovia Consolidated School (MCSS). However, before moving into the present building, the school was run in the Heritage Church in the Slipway Community. The current building school was constructed by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) & other development partners during the administration of the late President Samuel K. Doe in 1984.


Brief History of Moses K. Weefur Elementary School

Mr. Solomon Bartee, Principal

Contact: +2310770278802
Location: Logan Town

Moses K. Weefur Elem. School, formerly called Oldpa School was founded in 1960 by the late Abedu Bentsi. Abedu Bentsi who was commonly known as Oldpa due to his old age started the school as a study class. Few years later, the school became a full flesh Elem. School under the sponsorship of the Liberian Government. In the late 1960s, when the Government of Liberia established the Monrovia Consolidated School System, Oldpa School was one of the few schools that came under the supervision of the MCSS and was later named as Logan Town Central Elem. School, a name she bore until 2010. In the same year, during the administration of former Superintendent Hester William Catakaw, the land on which the school is situated was acquired from the Weefur family, though Mr. Moses K. Weefur served as chairman of the MCSS Council from 1976-1984. Said arrangement gave rise to the erection of a ten classroom building by UNICEF and the school later became Moses K. Weefur Elem. School.


Brief History of Point Four Elementary School

Mr. Daniel Y. Mulbah, Principal

Contact #: +231880528850 / +231777145428
Location: New Kru Town, Bushrod Island

Pont Four Elem. School was built by former President Charles Taylors of Liberia and Her Excellency Madam Jewel Howard Taylor, former First Lady of Liberia. The school was dedicated on April 24, 2003 to the people of New Kru Town, Bushrod Island. Pont Four Elem. School, formerly called Jewel Howard Taylor Elem. & Jr. High school is currently an Elem. School which runs two sections, both morning and afternoon.




Schools

Elementary

  1. A.Glenn Tubman Elementary School
  2. Matadi Community Elementary School
  3. Rebecca J. Wilson Elementary School
  4. Monrovia Elementary Demonstration
  5. Lorma Quarter Elementary School
  6. C. D. B. King Elementary School
  7. Anna F. Whisnant Elementary School
  8. C. William Brumskine Elementary School
  9. Slipway Elementary School
  10. Moses K. Weefur Elementary School
  11. Abedu Bentsi Elementary School
  12. Point Four Elementary School

Junior

  1. Mary N. Brownell Junior High School
  2. Matilda Newport Junior High School
  3. Emmanuel W. Johnson Junior High School
  4. Boatswain Junior High School

Elementary and Junior

  1. Gaye Town Elem. & Jr. High School
  2. N. V. Massaquoi Elem. & Jr. High School
  3. Marvii Sonii Elem. & Jr. High School
  4. St. Paul Bridge Elem. & Jr. High School

Junior & Senior

  1. Pipeline Jr. & Senior High School

Senior

  1. William V.S. Tubman High
  2. G.W. Gibson High School
  3. D. Twe High School